Election 2008--Salon

Hey, just wanted to share a short clip I've got in Salon's round up about the 2008 election.

Election 2008

Truth be told, I'd like a Hillary-Obama ticket, just like on Rod Lurie's Commander-in-Chief. We all know Jim Gardner, the brilliant and loyal black Chief of Staff, was the real Vice to Mackenzie Allen's principled first woman Prez. I want that in the White House next year. Not just a little tiny piece of change, but the whole fucking enchilada. That's the only way out of the godawful mess we're in.

But that's playing it safe, isn't it? And the real point of these round-ups is to see how those of us with so-called split allegiances are going to manage the calculus of this watershed moment. Do I want the woman or the half-black man? Dare I turn my back on the almighty Oprah and support Billary? What is a biracial girl to do?

Of course I could always roll out the who has more experience yadda yadda yadda. I could have my virtual assistant in India pull up every single vote Hillary and Barack ever cast, and make my determination on the issues. But that would be silly, because we all know this race is about emotion. It's about change. It's about the time being now. It's about multi-generational work. It's about outrageously powerful power couples. It's about being married to the answer.

Like most Americans, I am going to keep my vote to myself because it's my right to do so, and because I love going into the voting booth, pulling the curtain shut behind me and facing the moment of truth. Until then, nothing is for sure.

Peace and love,
Rebecca
January 5th, 2008

Comments:

Comment #1 by Danielle on January 9, 2008 - 2:12am

I am hands down, sold out to Hillary, I just worry that America will loose out on a chance for a democratic president because we "aren't ready" for a woman or a minority.

Comment #2 by Anonymous on January 9, 2008 - 4:22am

"...a woman or a black man?" or do you mean a woman or a bi-racial man -remember? my first introduction to Obama was while reading the audacity of hope and now after reading any/everything i get my hands on about him, i've grown to appreciate him far more than Hillary -and i think you will too. in a perfect world, our nation would be able to make clear decision w/o focusing on gender or race. cheers!jacklq

Comment #3 by AYo aka SouL on January 18, 2008 - 10:47pm

Hey finally someone else who wants a joint Hillary-Obama ticket! I think they would trump anyone else if they could just get over themselves flying solo. Doesn't Obama see he needs Hillary's experience? Doesn't Hillary see she needs Obama's message of hope? Sheesh. They talk about uniting America and yet...I'm still pissed off I can't run for President.www.rainbowfriends.net

Comment #4 by karrie on January 29, 2008 - 10:10pm

I believe we will see such a ticket, but the order is still completely up for grabs.

Comment #5 by Artemis from Jamaica on January 31, 2008 - 9:04pm

How's this for an interesting matchup: A Hillary-Obama ticket (whoever running for president doesn't matter to me for this scenario) running against a McCain-Rice (as in Condoleezza) ticket.What do you think?

Comment #6 by Rebecca Walker on February 2, 2008 - 9:18am

whoa that's a deep possibility--i can see it, too. the repubs are going to have go pretty dramatic to counter the heat generated by Obama and Clinton! I want to know why everyone isn't talking about how this is an historic election because we have a woman, a black man, and a differently abled person (McCain) running! Is that too taboo to even mention?