ABC News

ABC News

Hey check out my webcast on ABC News today on Hillary and Obama.

Short, but sweet.
February 5th, 2008

Comments:

Comment #1 by Michelle O'Neil on February 5, 2008 - 11:53pm

eloquent!

Comment #2 by Rebecca Walker on February 6, 2008 - 10:42am

I could have done without the biracial feminist daughter of AW...not like I haven't written four books, won an honorary doctorate and slew of awards, etc. but ah the america media. thanks for watching.

Comment #3 by Kahlil de La Fontaine on February 6, 2008 - 6:32pm

insightful.

Comment #4 by LiteraryAquarian on February 6, 2008 - 8:50pm

Picture my eyes rolling as soon as the words came off of his tongue. I hate that, I really do. I hate when people preface anyone with someone elses accomplishments. I was going to comment on that but you beat me to the punch. Barack Obama makes me feel good about American politics. I also would like to hear what you think about the way in which the media advertises him as solely a "Black" candidate. I have seen very few media outlets acknowledge his dual heritage. I would also love to read your commentary on the question of whether he is "Black enough". A topic which has made me angry with the media in so many ways. To hear other people of color suggest that there is a measurable level of supposed Blackness, one that can determine whether Black folks can trust him or not makes me worry about the future of racial cohesion. What gives? Girlfriend, I would love to hear what you think!

Comment #5 by Rebecca Walker on February 6, 2008 - 10:07pm

he makes me feel good about american politics, too, but cautiously so. i think a lot has been said about his multi-racial bg, but certainly not enough, as you say...i think it really doesn't acknowledge all of the work mixed race people have been doing to articulate just the kind of message he's got--like his pov arose without the kind of multi-racial politic that's been brewing and i know that at least i have been speaking about for ten years...i said a little on the whole black enough thing. think it's kind of sad. he's certainly as black as Bill Clinton, and a lot of the people who talk about BC as the first black pres are the same saying BO is not black enough. ridiculous. i think the point is that whomever is the candidate/president should be able to speak in an organic, meaningful way to all americans and BO seems to be doing the best job at that of the moment.

Comment #6 by Jocie Fong on February 10, 2008 - 7:22pm

from one biracial feminist to another, thank you for highlighting senator obama's ability to address the race-related issues with which our country struggles. I agree that he is uniquely qualified to do so. Here's my take: http://jocie-fong.blogspot.com/2008/01/consider-this-my-official-endorse...

Comment #7 by Anonymous on February 14, 2008 - 5:10pm

I fear I'll be accused of not paying enough attention but I'm going to risk that anyway.I don't think Barak has spoken up enough about race at all. You say he addresses it, I say his success has been based largely on his ability as they say to "rise above race" and there lies the problem. If he's rising above it, he sure ain't dealing with it.

Comment #8 by Rebecca Walker on February 15, 2008 - 6:02am

i think that's a really good point. i'd like to hear both of them on gender and both of them on race. and both of them on glbt issues as well. it is almost as if, in the reframing of race and gender as class issues, they feel they can talk about class and ignore the others... did you check out the list in the feb 6 post? does that list of concrete actions make you feel any different about obama's handling of race? i had mixed feelings when i read that in the discussion with advisors about whether to run for office, the issue of race was only talked about for about thirty seconds as a non-issue. can this be true?

Comment #9 by Rebecca Walker on February 15, 2008 - 6:24am

just turned on the tv to see that anderson cooper is doing race and gender in america/the election...