Making Sure

Thought you might enjoy my root.com blog post today.

Let me know what you want to make sure your kids know.

xo

May 22nd, 2008

Comments:

Comment #1 by Artemis on May 23, 2008 - 12:55am

I'm Jamaican so I have some basis to say this: Michael Manley may have been "brilliant and progressive" but his legacy has been a crippled and stagnant economy, mediocrity in all things, especially our education system, an underground economy that is enervating the country's potential for economic growth, and a crime and violence problem that renders our society on the verge of civil war death statistics (we have the highest murder rate IN THE WORLD). And please don't believe all the propaganda of Life and Debt. A beautiful film, but it was very biased, and the story told in that film was inaccurate in many aspects.Anyway, I just had to get that out of my system, as someone who has to live with Manley's legacy as part of daily life. I came to your blog to find out about the new book you mentioned you had a piece in. Is it out yet? What's it called? Artemis

Comment #2 by Artemis on May 23, 2008 - 12:57am

By the way, I totally agree with you about how gorgeous Michelle Obama looked and how beautiful the children are and just how lovely the whole family looks. It's not superficial--it's important that our children see these images and consider them "normal". It's why I strive to provide "people of colour" in all my 2 year old daughter's books and toys, so that she never thinks that white is the norm, which is in many ways how I grew up (even in Jamaica!!!)

Comment #3 by Rebecca Walker on May 23, 2008 - 1:45am

THANKS FOR THAT INFORMATION. I was thinking about Life and Debt and all of the things I know about Manley from the early days. I will adjust in the blog. Not sure which book you mean...give me a general direction and I will try to recall...

Comment #4 by Jessica on May 24, 2008 - 6:41pm

I want my future kids to have an appreciation for nature and the world around them. I want them to not be bored if they have nothing immediate to entertain them. I feel that students today, my friends in college, are bored if the city they are in doesn't have something to do. My hometown didn't have much but I was never bored. However, there was a bigger city not too far away. Anyway, I feel my friends are always looking for something or someone to entertain them when they need to learn to entertain themselves and not depend on an outside source for that entertainment.

Comment #5 by Artemis on May 25, 2008 - 2:31am

Some time ago I read in your blog that you had contributed to a new edited essay collection about parenting (I think). Sorry I can't remember more, but it would have been about November last year that you mentioned it (I think!)By the way, Michael Manley's fourth wife (he had five, Beverly Anderson-Manley just published her memoirs, The Manley Memoirs. I just got my copy and will read it this week.

Comment #6 by Rebecca Walker on May 25, 2008 - 3:17am

thanks for that, jessica. i agree totally and it's so hard as a parent to live by that...so much pressure for our kids to be "engaged" and performing or demonstrating their nascent talents in some way. i've struggled a bit with this myself--whether to let my son experience being in the middle of a gorgeous field with palm trees in it every day, or sending him to preschool where he will be "enriched." not an easy call. i know they aren't mutually exclusive, but you kind of do have to lean to one side or the other. i think i'm leaving him to roam in the field for another year. he's got plenty more for school...thanks for your comment.

Comment #7 by Jessica on June 2, 2008 - 3:28am

That's true. It is seems parenting these days has become some sort of competition where the winner has the smartest kid. But does the child win?

Comment #8 by SaraG on March 28, 2017 - 10:05am

My parents thought us how to be open with each other and to be compassionate at the same time. I'm an avid reader of your site, it motivates me to do good in everything I do just like what my parents used to say. As I look for some Proessaywriting discounts for my school paper, I remember my parents who taught me positive traits. I missed them so, as I've said your blog reminds me of them, main reason why I keep on reading your journal.