Election 2008: Are You Okay?

I don't know about you all, but I've come down with the election-flu.

I've identified the germinology:

1. 24 hour election coverage. I've got news about the Mccain-Obama situation coming at me from Twitter, Friend Feed, CNN, Rachel Maddow, Chris Matthews, and Fox News (thanks to my multi-news channel that lets me watch all the major stations at the same time), the local Hawaii ten-page newspaper, Alternet updates on my Blackberry, a constant stream of posts on my Facebook page, huge Hawaii for Obama posters at the supermarket, and even Tenzin. Right this second, he is in the bathtub singing, "Barack Obama, Barack Obama, Barack Obama."

2. The growing hostility. I was just speaking in the bible belt, the midwest, the west coast, and the northeast. Among many moments of difficulty, an airline attendant looked me up and down when I asked for a cup of water, then told me there wasn't enough to give me. At a hotel in Tennessee, a family of five asked me huffily to show them to their room.

When I asked why there was a "No Firearms Allowed" sign on the front door of a hotel in another Southern state, a policeman stood up from his post in the lobby, put his hand on his gun, and asked the woman behind the desk if she was having a problem with me.

And then, last night when I got home, I heard what I can only describe as Commando-style yelling coming from across the yard. I heard "Go!" and "Aim!" and "Move out!" Was it a television? A white supremacist group doing an exercise for the day after the election? I wish I could say definitively that it was the former, but since I've been hearing a lot of bagpipe playing over yonder, and checking in with the SPLC on the staggering rise of white hate groups, I'm not so sure.

The truth is, the backlash on this necessary step forward is going to be monumental. I recently saw a documentary on the civil war. One historian said the North won the war, but the South won Reconstruction-- black folks were emancipated, but they were also severely brutalized and disempowered shortly thereafter. I'm not saying it's going to happen, I'm saying Obama supporters of all colors need to get ready. Now is the time for all of us to vote, and also prepare.

Today, my friends, I am going to take some time off to rest and recover. I'm going to lie in bed with a book after I post this and try not to think about the economy. I am going to send messages of reassurance to all of the people in the world terrified of change that we will make it through if we can be open to what is rather than attached to what was, and I am going to check all of the locks on my doors and windows to make sure they are secure.

I'm also going to try, try, try, to give Tenzin my undivided attention for at least thirty minutes. And that includes being with him without thinking about the ten thousand things on my to-do list and what the world might look like at the end of next month.

And one more thing. The Dalai Lama says a guaranteed way to feel better is to think about others more than yourself. So I'm going to ask how you're doing with all of this. How are you managing these final days to E-day?

Are you okay?

October 30th, 2008

Comments:

Comment #1 by Anonymous on October 31, 2008 - 9:14am

Hanging on! Great post.

Comment #2 by Judy on October 31, 2008 - 7:24pm

No one ever said moving forward was easy - just essential for life. There are a lot of dead people walking around-you happened upon a few. Rebecca, you never know when the time you have tried to do something for the 200th time is the time it works. It is the effort that is so important. Yes we can. Love you.

Comment #3 by Carol on October 31, 2008 - 10:35pm

I'm not even a U.S citizen, but everyone that I know here in the U.K who has an interest in politics.... well, they are all hoping that it is Obama that is elected. I do feel that I want it all to be over and done with now, I want the results, I want to witness the change. And I live in hope that it's change for the better (Obama)

Comment #4 by rebecca on October 31, 2008 - 11:34pm
Comment #5 by Syreeta on November 1, 2008 - 7:03pm

You're very astute. I often wonder what this election will do to "race-relations" in America, espeically for bi-racial people like myself. I'm so proud and happy about Barack, but I'm still scared about what the backlash will involve. That's wrong; I need to not focus on that stuff. And also, it's not fair. But, just because people shouldn't be a certain way or something shouldn't be true, that doesn't make it go away. We'll see.

Comment #6 by rebecca on November 1, 2008 - 10:03pm
Comment #7 by dave on November 5, 2008 - 7:50am

Dear webmaster,

We would like to work with you setting up Dating Site for interracial singles and friends.

We can set it up for you at no cost if you have strong interest in this field or work-at-home business. You can pick the name for your own biker dating site, own the domain and brand. We take care of all the backend and engineering work. Also customer service work,

You don't have to worry that no one exists at your biker dating site at the beginning. Your site will share hundreds of thousands of profiles with other biker sites we have already set up. Your users can immediately contact hundreds of thousands of other biker users once they register at your biker dating site.

You can earn money if you can get users registering at your dating site.
It is easy to get users visiting your biker dating site by doing the followings:

1. Invite friends, friends of your friends to visit it;
2. Write blogs on popular sites promoting it;
3. Create friend circle on some social networking sites to get to know more friends.;
4. Use business card, fly sheet to promote it when joining social activities;

Any other problem or idea? Please feel free to let me know

Dave
Marketing Manager
Interracialmatch.com
Email me: marketingmanager008@gmail.com

Comment #8 by Bodhisattva Harlem Mama on November 6, 2008 - 1:45am

I thought it was just me! Yes, my immune system finally shutdown the day after. :-) Every sniffle is worth every moment of joy I'm feeling now. Be well.

Comment #9 by Marisol on October 23, 2014 - 2:47am

A fascinating discussion is worth comment. I do think that you need to
write more on this issue, it might not be a taboo subject but typically people don't discuss these
topics. To the next! All the best!!