From Newsweek: The Global Elite

Interesting piece in Newsweek on the history of power and the new global elite.

The Top 10 of 50:

Who would you add?
December 28th, 2008

Comments:

Comment #1 by Anonymous on December 28, 2008 - 5:04am

I don't really believe this. Every single politician on that list takes marching orders from the corporations, so scrap them. The same applies to the entertainers.

The most powerful people in the world are those who own the central bank and the media. I doubt their names would ever appear on any list.

Comment #2 by rebecca on December 28, 2008 - 10:35am

I posted this as a continuation of the discussion of power started a few weeks back--I find it interesting that power is still only seen as that which can make others do things they don't want to do. My definition has been more like power is the ability to empower others.

Re: marching orders. Murdoch comes in at 39. And no matter where power is generated, it takes skilled players to know what to do with it.

Hence, the list.

Comment #3 by Super Amanda on December 28, 2008 - 5:34pm

"Elite" is a hard word to read when so many great people are on that list, people that I don't associate with elitism necessarily. I know "elite" can mean simple a distinctive branch of people who have achieved an honourable level of public service and power in their time though. And then you have the Ppe which is more of a demogague than a leader. TIME magazine leaves a lot to be desired sometimes!

The Right and Honurable Tony Benn should be on that list as should Steven Spielberg and Ken Burns.

Tony is the world's greatest living socialist and England's all time greatest statesman while Spielberg's influence through film and Ken Burns' through documentaries has changed the way people view history for the better. I wish more artists and writers were on the list. It sounds crazy but if Michael Jackson had gone in a different direction about 25 years ago, he would be one that list with Oprah. Few if any performers have entertained that all encompassing adulation and influence in modern times as he did.

Comment #4 by rebecca on December 28, 2008 - 11:13pm

I agree re: elite. I also think peple who aren't alive should be on the list, as their influence still has so much power! Adam Smith, Marx, Ghandhi, Picasso. And people like Wangari Mathai and Nelson Mandela, who hold a line for us all--a line of humanity, an indicator of what should not be crossed.That's pretty powerful.

Thanks for  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Benn.

Comment #5 by Super Amanda on December 29, 2008 - 2:20am

Thanks for the linkage! Obama is on 60 Minutes right now...

I'm glad all that Warren is stuff is dying down and we are moving towards the inauguration. I think that if we get to air our feelings and grievances then we are better able as a country to get past things.

It's empowering to email teenagers I know and tell them that they really are witnessing a regime change and that they get to witness history. Recent news from Israel is distressing but when we were growing up we witnessed a lot of the same news to... We were warned about traveling to Europe etc.

If the global elite cannot cave to greed and avarice then there is hope they will see a new world.

Michelle Obama just put it best on 60 Minutes when she said, "you can't make decisions based on fear." It's so simple but I think it's the hardest emotional things for most humans to face, I know it is for me.

Comment #6 by Dpoiuti on February 25, 2010 - 8:46am

Very Useful information , this is both good reading for, have quite a few good key points, and I learn some new stuff from it too, thanks for sharing your information.

regards,
handbags

Comment #7 by Gucci on February 25, 2010 - 8:47am

Comment #8 by Swim shorts on July 29, 2010 - 1:28pm

Comment #9 by love relationship on October 24, 2010 - 5:46pm

Politicians are no longer interested in representing the people, their goals nowadays is to hang around and collect donations from corporation to use for their campaigns.

Comment #10 by Best Multivitamin for Men on November 17, 2010 - 11:51pm

With Hu Jintao and people calling China an "economic superpower" or whatever...well, you would hope that country with more than a billion people would be able to churn out a decent amount of money. It's not kind of accomplishment.

Moreover, the only reason China's economy is strong is because of places like Hong Kong that were able to develop outside of it's influence.

Comment #11 by plus size trendy clothing on December 15, 2010 - 9:26pm

Looking through this, I accumulate a lot of thoughts - what to achieve, what to add, what to express but the only thing I keep up on for sure is that I am impressed by the pleasant means of the creator

Comment #12 by real estate evansville in on March 2, 2011 - 12:18pm

As a rule power belongs to true elite. But so called should be true enlightened to give the desired directions and lead the ignorant to a state where individual realizes all his growth and potential. It is a very thought and interesting post.

Comment #13 by media buyer on April 14, 2011 - 6:13pm

What are the advantages of change? If there is anything stead-fast and unchanging it is change itself. However, it is always welcome. And It is very natural and essential for progress and continuity. Glad to see the list of the new powerful elite.

Comment #14 by online-dissertation-help.co.uk on December 3, 2012 - 10:17am

I immediately wanted to say my thanks for the knowledge From Newsweek: The Global Elite provided here,I have been recently in your blog once or twice now.

Comment #15 by UGG on November 29, 2013 - 7:24am

This became genuinely useful, enjoy your submitting