Trailer for What's On Your Plate, a flim by Catherine Gund and Aubin Pictures

Amazing

Not a day goes by that I don't think about what I'm eating, what I'm feeding my family, and how little I know about where our food is from, and who handles it as it moves from place to place.

When I see films like this or read Michael Pollan's In Defense of Food, I feel fortunate to have lived in Berkeley for several years and spent many delicious evenings at Alice Waters' restaurant, Chez Panisse.

The first time, I was taken for my 16th birthday by one of my fabulous gay "uncles" named Ivory, whom I lost to AIDS years later. I will always remember him as the person who introduced me to Lillet and the concept of the "prix fixe". It was incredible. We ate rabbit and drank Lillet and then had delicious flourless chocolate ganache.

I love you Ivory!

Anyway.

Now that Waters is advising the White House and transforming public school cafeterias by teaching kids to grow their own lunches, I feel I was there at the beginning-- a part of yet another movement: The Food Movement!

Waters has just joined the Advisory Board for this great film, produced and directed by a friend and fellow co-founder of Third Wave Foundation, Catherine Gund.

I'd love to hear your food stories. We don't have any CSA's here on Maui, or if we do, I need someone out there to tell me about them.

February 25th, 2009

Comments:

Comment #1 by Super Amanda on February 26, 2009 - 6:48am

Oh this fantastic. Reuters and AP recently squelched the news that high Fructose corn syrup and fructose contain high levels of mercury which is frightening given the autism and mercury links which to my satisfaction have not been 100% ruled out. HF is in EVERYTHING now; girls scout cookies, Nutri-Grain Strawberry Cereal Bars, Quaker Oatmeal to go bars, Hershey's Chocolate Syrup, Yoplait Strawberry yogurt, Market Pantry Grape Jelly and Coca-Cola of course! The corporate goons have even tried to mess with the neutrality of the wikipedia page. (I'm a walking advert for wikipedia, I know!

This movie is so needed! too many in the good fight movements of yester- year had there health breakdown from bad diet. my older friends on the Left don't want to hear it but it's true.

"A study published in the journal Environmental Health in 2009 [3] [4] found that high-fructose corn syrup was commonly tainted with mercury, and found traces of mercury in many common retail products that contained high-fructose corn syrup as an ingredient. The mercury appears to come from caustic soda and hydrochloric acid, two chemicals used in the manufacture of high-fructose corn syrup that can, depending on their manufacturing process, contain traces of mercury.The Institute for Agriculture and Trade Policy tested 55 consumer items, finding mercury in one third of the samples ranging from 30 to 350 parts per trillion. The amounts of mercury found was far less than that commonly seen in most fish and seafood. The researchers cautioned that their study was limited. "Ref: McKinney, Matt. For first time, trace amount of mercury found in corn syrup. Star Tribune.

Comment #2 by Jen Deaderick on February 27, 2009 - 10:58pm

This looks so interesting! I do have to answer one of their questions honestly, though:

Funyun=one of the top ten snack foods of all time, up there with Lays potato chips, puffed cheez doodles, and Fritos.

But, yes, we need to improve what we eat. Of course!

Comment #3 by rebecca on March 29, 2009 - 12:35am

This from a Twitter friend: Find a CSA near you, just add your zip code:

Comment #4 by evansville housing on March 19, 2011 - 5:03pm

The trailer for What's On Your Plate, a flim by Catherine Gund and Aubin pictures must be an interesting story to watch. I've enjoyed reading the post for its content. There are a number of food stories to listen.

Comment #5 by cheap used laptops on March 24, 2011 - 3:10pm

Thinking too much about where my food is from and how it came about makes me paranoid. Especially now that I'm a mom, I keep thinking about the worst scenarios. Eep! ;)

Comment #6 by junkyards on April 2, 2011 - 8:04pm

I being from the third world countries where sustaining life is often difficult, I get a lot of inspiration from your post on the food movement. I've found the film to be very informative and educative. Thanks for the posting.

Comment #7 by GreenTent Design on April 22, 2011 - 6:23pm

I like your blog, Rebecca! I've just been browsing through it and have found a number of articles which are not only informative, but very relevant, as well. Keep writing! Yours is one of the few blogs I came about this week that has vital stuff.

Comment #8 by Eviction Letter on May 2, 2011 - 7:05pm

I appreciate films based on day to day happenings in the life. When the subject is related to eating habits and hygiene, it reminds of my childhood days when my mother was in control of my daily details. I could never forget the taste and flavor of items my mother used to feed me. I've been nostalgic about the taste, and love and caring.

Comment #9 by Guy Kloster on May 12, 2011 - 9:15pm

Hello everyone, I merely had to write it down that this site's look is totally nice in my humble opinion.

Comment #10 by Lauren Clark Photography on June 8, 2011 - 12:48pm

It's amazing how much motherhood has changed me. During my pre-baby days, I had no qualms about diving into my food with "relatively clean" hands. Now, I am obsessed about keeping both my own and my daughters hands clean, especially before meals.As well, I always find myself scrutinizing the food on our plate, whether it be at home or at a restaurant. Motherhood seems to have made me into a paranoid, obsessive-compulsive person! ;)

Comment #11 by bed bugs on June 11, 2011 - 9:47am

But, not all are fortunate enough to enjoy such clean diet. We city dwellers have little time go into such details. We're gluttons; we eat whatever comes from the big names. However, films like these wakes us to mind our plates.

Comment #12 by Cristy Cross Photography on June 11, 2011 - 12:44pm

Kids and clean hands apparently don't mix. My nieces and nephews absolutely love getting their hands deep into practically anything that interests them -- clay, mud, soil, rice, mashed potatoes, even gravy! I think my sister is so cool for knowing how to pick her battles. She's paranoid too about the possibility of her kids ingesting germs, but nobody said anything about having squeaky clean, germ-free hands everytime one eats. A few germs here and there won't hurt anyone. At least not yet. ;)

Comment #13 by dr marlene on June 12, 2011 - 1:40pm

The post reminds me of my youth when I used to live a carefree life; throwing all the table manners to the wind with little care for cleanliness. However, when I became a mother, everything changed, especially for my child; she needs to be taken care of and taught of good hygiene tips.

Comment #14 by portland mortgage on August 18, 2011 - 4:44pm

We hardly give any attention to what we eat albeit our foreknowledge about where we eat. The video is a must watched one as we get a valuable lessons from the film. I have enjoyed reading the informative post.

Comment #15 by countertops Maryland on August 31, 2011 - 10:06pm

A few years ago we signed up for a farm share program. Farmer brought 1/80th of that weeks product into town for us to pick up. I cooked (and enjoyed) so many things that I had never heard of before.

Comment #16 by weight loss motivation tips on September 22, 2011 - 2:11pm

I tried this mind control once, as far as diet raising awareness is concerned. The point is you have to establish a balance in your daily life and stick to it no matter what. Unless you do, you end up thinking too much about it and actually doing too little. Except when you take this advice from a specialist. He can guide you through the entire process, stick by your side during the burdening progress of your diet program and eventually succeeding in making you to handle it by yourself.