In Love with A. Lincoln, by Maira Kalman

"The occasion is piled high with difficulty. As our case is new, so we must think anew and act anew. We must disenthrall ourselves, and then we shall save our country." --A. Lincoln, 1862

From the lovely Maira Kalman's lovely ode In Love with A. Lincoln

February 28th, 2009

Comments:

Comment #1 by Diana Rico on March 1, 2009 - 6:50pm
Maira Kalman cracks my heart open again and again. My only sorrow is that her NYTimes blog appears just once a month. In between, I jones. Here's an interesting talk she did on TED.com: http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/maira_kalman_the_illustrated_woman.ht... Love + peace, Diana Rico http://www.wordartist.net http://theloveARTblog.wordpress.com
Comment #2 by rebecca on March 1, 2009 - 7:28pm

I know what you mean.

I'm always amazed she can produce as much as she does in a month. And my heart still breaks for the loss of her husband. I remember when they did that incredible book about global fashion:

And please, please put the poem back up in the Salma Hayek post. I miss it so.

Comment #3 by Super Amanda on March 7, 2009 - 7:59am

Yee haw! Good news! I'm going to have to write a post on my blog about this:

"It has been reported that President Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama returned a gift, a Winston Churchill bust, right back to its givers, the United Kingdom.
The Times of London immediately traced Obama's "disdain" for Churchill to Kenya, where Obama's grandfather was caught up in the Churchill-led suppression of the 1950s Mau Mau Rebellion that left thousands of
Kenyans dead.

"It's not surprising that Mr. Obama didn't want Churchill looking over his shoulder," explained one correspondent."

Damn skippy.

Comment #4 by Mike on October 9, 2009 - 3:45pm

excellent. I am going to have to write up on this as well. She does work so hard.

Comment #5 by Womens swim shorts on May 21, 2010 - 3:49am

Suprerb. Lovely lines by A. Lincoln. I am a big fan of his life style.

Comment #6 by http://www.waterproofsocks.org on November 4, 2010 - 8:20pm

Lincoln must have had a hard time freeing the black slaves. Another thing that is interesting is the word disenthrall doesn't have a standard definition (according to Google, at least). I think a more appropriate word in today's world is "disenchant".

Comment #7 by flour mill on March 10, 2011 - 1:18am

Kenyans dead.

Comment #8 by electroluxappliancesreviewsco on September 13, 2011 - 3:50am

Divine! this is so with keeping with my Lenten Journey. I liked her thinking around a lot of things. I am inspired in this season of Lent to focus on my creativity and spirituality.

Comment #9 by Julia on October 9, 2011 - 8:31pm

Very interesting, I will take that in note.

Comment #10 by Abdul Loche on October 23, 2012 - 3:59pm

Hey there! I could have sworn I've been to this blog before but after browsing through some of the post I realized it's new to me. Anyways, I'm definitely happy I found it and I'll be book-marking and checking back often! Abdul Loche

Comment #11 by Anonymous on November 14, 2013 - 7:12pm

However in method to die a flow step online, you also get to exercise a miniature of your achievement furthermore receive personality-chasten so that you can place away inescapable disturbances that happens your mode. best custom paper writing services

Comment #12 by Anonymous on December 4, 2013 - 6:33am

Lincoln subsequently must have had difficulties clearing the dark slaves. Another factor that is exciting is the phrase disenthrall doesn't have a conventional meaning . Visit Website

Comment #13 by faux rolex watches on December 31, 2013 - 8:16pm

The watches is usually the use of leather, like plastic, nylon, chrome steel as well as other supplies, produced ??the strap

Comment #14 by businesscybersecurity.net on February 6, 2014 - 6:56am

There isn't one one security product available that could prevent a new criminal via entering your own home. However, which has a certified home security inspection.

Comment #15 by atlantabusinessinsurance.net on February 6, 2014 - 6:56am

The most important issues with your organization plan can be how you wish to expand the organization over a 3 to 5 year interval.

Comment #16 by insuranceconnectionsinc.net on February 6, 2014 - 6:57am

Insurance plan is mostly a threat sharing contractual relationship relating to the insurer plus the insured.

Comment #17 by fsutenniscamp on February 19, 2014 - 7:36am

When attending the Monaco F1 Grand Prix make sure that you plan to attend through the help of a package deal. Although booking a package is not a requirement to attend the F1 Monaco races, booking it surely does make life simple

Comment #18 by www.directtv4schools.org on February 20, 2014 - 6:34am

Comment #19 by Anonymous on March 1, 2014 - 10:51am

I'm completely new to blogging however I do write in my journal daily. I'd like to start a blog so I will be able to share my experience and feelings online. bubblegum casting legitimate

Comment #20 by Anonymous on March 19, 2014 - 6:56am

A very common way of selling cars is running an ad in newspapers or in bulletin. Then there is a need to wait for the reply for the ads. For this kind of selling you also have to pay your full attention. עידו לבני על לחיות מתוך הקלות

Comment #21 by http://www.collegehorse.com on April 10, 2014 - 7:57am

High school graduation is near and you’re about ready to move on to college. Not all schools are the same, so your choice can affect your education quality. Read on to learn how to choose the right for you.

Comment #22 by http://www.liveeducational.com on April 10, 2014 - 7:57am

A full and proper education is a key element to one’s success in recent times, which means that attending the correct schools for your chosen profession can give you a leg-up over the competition.

Comment #23 by Kade on April 23, 2014 - 12:59pm

Oh wow great to see you in love with someone. http://doghealthproblem.net

Comment #24 by Anonymous on April 24, 2014 - 10:44am

It's truly a pleasant and advantageous bit of information.
IOWA COUNTY

Comment #25 by SENSOR on April 24, 2014 - 10:49am

I will present a connection on this page on my web journal.

Comment #26 by Anonymous on April 24, 2014 - 10:50am

I like the profitable data you give in your articles.
nursingschoolspro.com

Comment #27 by Jadoo Box on April 27, 2014 - 7:23am

These kind of HD boxes present you with high digital videos and connection with top quality packages. There are numerous Boxes you can find with high-definition good quality; high-definition here implies videos and photograph with improved good quality. Jadoo Box

Comment #28 by Anonymous on May 8, 2014 - 7:45am

Sometimes even more so than an real personal. In an example given in the analysis, subjects took part in a unique perform out that improved their. check out

Comment #29 by www.hotelinsuranceplans.com on June 11, 2014 - 5:22am

Personal liability insurance comes handy if you injure another person or damage his or her property. Therefore, if you are involved in an accident and are held liable for the accident, a good travel plan will cover your legal expenses and liability. www.hotelinsuranceplans.com

Comment #30 by 7d news on July 19, 2014 - 7:11am

Many businesses periodically send newsletters by postal mail to keep subscribers current on their affairs or industry-related news, for the purpose of maintaining a loyal customer base to whom they can market additional products or services.

Comment #31 by Mazie on October 12, 2014 - 12:30am

si bien en España nos encontremos que hay partidos
que no los dan por abierto” en la televisión, en otros países si que lo hacen y aunque nuestra televisión no sea capaz de captarlos si que podemos acceder a
ellos a través de Internet.