Charles and Ray Eames debut their lounge chair, on NBC

Inspired to look for some video on these two after a meeting in the Time Life building yesterday. Mid-century modern is a little later than Time Life, but still...

Love the note about the successful man and woman "helper." And then Ray's smart responses.

Arlene Francis is classic.
May 29th, 2009

Comments:

Comment #1 by Jen Deaderick on May 29, 2009 - 9:00pm

I'm freaked out by how often Arlene feels the need to mention the "woman behind the man" concept. I'm guessing it was an attempt at being progressive at the time, but the emphasis on "behind" gets to be mighty grating.

Comment #2 by Jen Deaderick on May 29, 2009 - 9:16pm

Arlene is really pushing Ray and Charles to fully acknowledge Ray's importance in their work, when I really look at this. Ray kind of demurs a little.

Then the little promo at the end, with the mostly faceless "wife" bustling around. The blatantness really is quite astounding.

Comment #3 by Jen Deaderick on May 29, 2009 - 9:18pm

Final comment: Now we know where the Mac white background ads came from. They've referenced that promo a million times.

Comment #4 by Jen Deaderick on May 29, 2009 - 11:51pm
Comment #5 by rebecca on May 30, 2009 - 1:57am

"Francis was married twice, first to Neil Agnew from 1935 to 1945. He worked in the sales department of Paramount Pictures, which necessitated frequent business trips during which Francis stayed home alone. The marriage ended in divorce in 1945.[2] In her 1978 autobiography, she writes of this experience. "Having made the actual physical break, it was easier for me than I had thought to explain to Neil some of what I felt, what I had been feeling for so long a time. Not all, of course. There were areas which I couldn't discuss even then, which would be too hurtful to him, I felt. I saw him fairly often, and he courted me as though we had just met, but I was building up strengths which enabled me to resist not only his blandishments (including a lovely little house which he bought in New York as an enticement to get me to change my mind) but those of my parents, who also would have given anything to see me go back to the status which had been quo."[7]

Francis' second marriage was to actor/producer Martin Gabel from 1946 until his death on May 22, 1986, of a heart attack.[2] He was a frequent guest panelist on What's My Line?. The couple, who often exchanged endearments on the show, had a son, Peter Gabel,[1] born January 28, 1947, a law academic formerly associated with New College of California in San Francisco and associate editor of Tikkun. He was at his mother's side when she died."

I'm adding her to the list of sheroes. She was definitely trying to work some stuff out.

Comment #6 by rebecca on May 30, 2009 - 1:57am
Apple: TOTALLY.
Comment #7 by modmom on May 31, 2009 - 5:14am

I was so happy to see these videos posted on your blog. As indicated by my username, I consider myself equal parts modern and equal parts mother. Charles and Ray are my favorite design team. And they were a team in the complete sense of the word a team. Each bringing to the table a unique skill set and perspective, without which their body of work, as we know it today, would be diminished. I am lucky to have an Eames Lounge Chair and Ottoman in my life. Each time I sit in it, see it, think about it; I smile. Great design will change your life!

Comment #8 by Super Amanda on June 2, 2009 - 2:43am

This is great! But it also made me a bit sad to read.

I was supposed to buy an Eames table and chairs from the estate of my late partner but the executor sold them accidentally at the estate sale.

Sad :(

Comment #9 by Rue Mapp on June 10, 2009 - 3:57am

Unfortunately, you don't sense from the clip Charles' deep love and respect for Ray. This is one couple who found that perfect mix of passion and creativity around a mutual interest that both encapsulated them and shook up the whole world.

I love the Eames!

Thanks for re-posting the video!

Comment #10 by rebecca on June 10, 2009 - 4:08am

Yes yes yes! Of all my cherished possessions, my case study bed and eames chairs (the shells, in all different colors), are at the top of the list of favorites. And there are so many pieces I still crave--though at the moment I can't get my mind off Saarinen's Womb Chair and ottoman. DWR released it in pumpernickel, and it's just...gasp. And I love this memory game by Maharam, the company that made the house of cards for the Eames'. Looks cool:

Comment #11 by saber rao on October 22, 2016 - 4:28pm

Do you that this trick is working for hack snap online that these password works for you to get the account of snapchat.

Comment #12 by 0370tong.com on September 13, 2017 - 6:36am

It is constructed as either wall or island units.