I'd pick it up.

So of course I'm always looking at books. The copy on the jacket, the blurbs, trim-size, and overall design. Though I'm not completely sold on the color combo, I'd definitely pick this one up.

Would you?

June 29th, 2009

Comments:

Comment #1 by Amy on June 29, 2009 - 6:59am

Yea, in fact I almost picked this up the other day, but I ended up choosing another book when I looked at the content....I forgot why I ended up not choosing "Burn this book"....I think it was because I wanted something with the same author throughout....sometimes, with anthologies I read one essay from the book and hate the rest...It could be the same with reading one chapter from a book and, then, hating the whole book, but, with a single author throughout the entire thing, I think it's less likely to happen.

Comment #2 by rebecca on June 29, 2009 - 7:18am
Agreed. Almost too strong for a collection. Interesting point.
Comment #3 by rebecca on June 29, 2009 - 7:20am

Also gets into the issue of design promising more than it can it deliver--which is frustrating for the reader, no? Too much design and not enough edifying content can feel hollow. And then not enough design is, well, not interesting enough to consider.

Any ideas about how to strike the right balance--so readers and listeners and seekers of work feel the mix is honest and true and right?

Comment #4 by Amy on June 29, 2009 - 7:45am

The only thing I can thing of is for the title and back cover summary to make up for the design. A lot of times, the title appeals to me more than the design. Although a title can be just as misleading as a design, that scenario happens to me less often. A title or back cover summary is almost forced to tie into the book's content in some way while still doing good advertising for the book. In terms of making the "readers and listeners" feel that the "mix is honest and true and right," I would say the more subtle a design is, the more honest it feels. I think a subtle design feels more honest than a shocking design because it is unassuming. Sometimes, when there are a billion books with crazy, obnoxious designs, the plain one ends up standing out.

Comment #5 by Amy on June 29, 2009 - 7:50am

Sorry, I meant "think of" in the first sentence.

Comment #6 by rebecca on June 29, 2009 - 8:56pm

"I would say the more subtle a design is, the more honest it feels. I think a subtle design feels more honest than a shocking design because it is unassuming. Sometimes, when there are a billion books with crazy, obnoxious designs, the plain one ends up standing out."

LOVELY.

Comment #7 by Anonymous on July 1, 2009 - 10:48pm

Nothing to do with the above post just wondered if you are going to comment or say anything about Michael Jackson's death.

Comment #8 by rebecca on July 2, 2009 - 9:32am

Tragic. Did a long thread on FB statuses, and Tweeted my feelings. Sad. I remember meeting him, and how lonely he seemed. And shy. And fragile. I'm not sure there is much to say. I've been playing his music, and reflecting on the price of fame and celebrity. The way public people often mask a horrific private reality. The toll of it all. The way we consume the gifted ones, exalt them, imprison them. Why I think Angelina and Brad take the kids to Kmart. If they don't try to live outside of it, they will all be trapped in the gilded cage. A nightmare.

What are your thoughts?

Comment #9 by Emerson on July 5, 2009 - 9:11pm

Got it! :0)

Comment #10 by Sylvia on August 29, 2009 - 5:15pm

Yes, I would pick this book up and read it, just because I really like the author and admire her writing style. To me, a book should never be judged by it cover. I know that's a mighty saying already only we should look pass the obvious and search for the true meanings of the book.
Post note: I really enjoyed reading your blog and look forward to visiting again. You have a lot of interesting topics and beautiful scenes.
sincerely, Sylvia

Comment #11 by Deaf school on August 29, 2009 - 6:25pm

nice blog.. liked it very much....can someone give me some other related blog address..???ne ways appreciated..!!!

Comment #12 by Karan on July 5, 2011 - 4:47pm

A very provocative cover indeed. I would definitely pause for a second if I ever came across the book while scanning a book shelf. Although I agree the color combination is not attractive but the nonetheless the message just hits you. I particularly focus my attention to a vibrant color theme at my blog living room designs which immediately catches the users attention without actually expecting the users to read.

Would definitely read couple of pages of this book in case I get a chance.
Thanks.