Me on Michael Jackson, from The Root

July 7th, 2009

Comments:

Comment #1 by Super Amanda on July 8, 2009 - 2:43am

Thank you so much! Beautiful and heartfelt, you and Cintra Wilson are my two most favorite writers. Her piece on Jackson, written about eight years ago, was very different from your take but you both have that same message of wishing he had been more about self preservation.

"Run away, Michael. Go to an island and live out your days in the sunshine. Disappear before we, the world's mean-spirited publications, kill you with our obsessive, smothering need to know you better."

Comment #2 by Marcy Webb on July 8, 2009 - 2:01pm

Rebecca, the last two sentences of your piece touched my heart the most.

BTW: What led you to write a piece, beyond what you had previously posted re: MJ on your blog? The tenor of the piece and your previous blog post are so very different: The former, very warm and sincere, but honest, and the latter, more brutal and cold, albiet honest as well.

Comment #3 by rebecca on July 9, 2009 - 6:08am

Brutal and cold? Wow. They seem very much in the same emotional vein to me--but I did write this in response to a request from the Corriere della Sera--an Italian paper I've worked with a lot in the past:

Comment #4 by SuperAmanda on July 10, 2009 - 3:42am

I'm really digging all this Italian energy lately on your blog! Gratzi!

Comment #5 by SuperAmanda on July 11, 2009 - 10:53pm

Has Oprah said anything about Michael Jackson? I have not heard anything. If any has heard anything, please post.

Comment #6 by A shrink on July 13, 2009 - 4:17pm

Thank you for the most thoughtful bit I've read on MJ. I had been so troubled by the "We had him" theme in the Maya Angelou piece; like a caged bird, I felt that "we had him" was possibly the crux of the problem. A sincere thank-you for your insights.

Comment #7 by Womens swim shorts on May 21, 2010 - 3:46am

I was very shocked on his death. What a great performer, millions of fans and what an end of life. Very shocking.

Comment #8 by Cheap Floor Lamps on November 12, 2010 - 12:32am

It's good to know you have actual insight into him from personal experience, as opposed to the majority who completely speculate.

Comment #9 by Mono symptoms on February 8, 2011 - 1:28pm

Comment #10 by car specifications on February 11, 2011 - 11:41am

Comment #11 by HGH on February 20, 2011 - 10:43am

Michael Jackson is my mentor. Whatever I am is due to him. He is mu idol in real sense.

Comment #12 by Lupus symptoms on March 2, 2011 - 1:28pm

Comment #13 by Phillips67 on April 25, 2011 - 7:15am

In fact your creative writing abilities and presentation value influenced me a lot to share some view here, Michael Jackson is one of the best music sensational of the millennium , I have been a huge fan of him since from many years and regular followed his dancing moves , really its been a socking happen about his death.
Xtreme fat loss diet

Comment #14 by shingles symptoms on April 28, 2011 - 1:40pm

Comment #15 by Pneumonia Symptoms on April 29, 2011 - 12:41pm

Comment #16 by John Roberts on April 30, 2011 - 2:02pm

I have also been a fan of him and I really love his dancing moves and styles. His death is a huge loss.

Comment #17 by diego on May 17, 2011 - 11:43am

Michael Jackson the name that doesn't need any introduction, really this music sensation is a great performer of this millennium, he is a cool mentor and the biggest rock star I used to listen him since from years but it was a big depress for his immediate death.
url shortening

Comment #18 by Charlie Dubois on May 23, 2011 - 4:43am

Beautiful photograph. You really captured MJ's enigmatic presence.

Comment #19 by email marketing on May 30, 2011 - 8:42am

Really Michael Jackson the vast ocean of music, and its every drop of released was brings a lots more for the listeners, he is one of the best musical sensation and immensely talented personality, really a huge blow of shocked for his sudden death.

Comment #20 by pont elevateur on June 7, 2011 - 6:27pm

He was a great artist, wow what a wonderful show there.

Comment #21 by bronchitis symptoms on August 8, 2011 - 3:39pm

He will be missed. It's so sad to see all these talent artists die so young

Comment #22 by live music in malaga on September 3, 2011 - 5:05am

I cried when he died on that fateful day in 2009! I love his thriller moves and moonwalk.

Comment #23 by watch on December 10, 2011 - 7:22am

I dont watch TV or read newspapers.

Comment #24 by kineski horoskop on March 29, 2012 - 9:27pm

Excellent piece of information.

Comment #25 by Arnold on August 14, 2012 - 6:12am

Actually Michael Jackson is the super star of the world and who never can challenged with Michael on dance because he is the fantabulous dancer with their stylish and all creative things are really too much better than others but I am very unhappy for Michael Jackson's death.

how to repair credit

Comment #26 by chicagohealthtech on November 21, 2013 - 8:41pm

I am glad to find your impressive way of writing the post. Now it become easy for me to understand and implement the concept.