Another poem.

Be Near Me

Faiz Ahmed Faiz
Translated by Naomi Lazard

Be near me now,
My tormenter, my love, be near me—
At this hour when night comes down,
When, having drunk from the gash of sunset, darkness comes
With the balm of musk in its hands, its diamond lancets,
When it comes with cries of lamentation,
                                             with laughter with songs;
Its blue-gray anklets of pain clinking with every step.
At this hour when hearts, deep in their hiding places,
Have begun to hope once more, when they start their vigil
For hands still enfolded in sleeves;
When wine being poured makes the sound
                                             of inconsolable children
                      who, though you try with all your heart,
                                             cannot be soothed.
When whatever you want to do cannot be done,
When nothing is of any use;
—At this hour when night comes down,
When night comes, dragging its long face,
                                             dressed in mourning,
Be with me,
My tormenter, my love, be near me.

November 28th, 2009

Comments:

Comment #1 by Bodhisattva Harlem Mama on December 5, 2009 - 9:07am

How perfect. I felt like someone put in words what I thought no words could describe.

Comment #2 by Poptropica on December 16, 2009 - 3:14am

thanks for your information!!

Comment #3 by fairy lady on January 12, 2010 - 10:26am

Thanks for taking the time to share this poem with us. Its very moving.

Comment #4 by banner stands on March 6, 2010 - 8:15pm

Nice poem. Can I copy parts of this poem for my English assignment?

Comment #5 by drupal themes on March 22, 2010 - 12:09pm

Nice poem. It reminds me of a poem wrote by my gf to me :)

Comment #6 by Masquerade Masks on April 15, 2010 - 4:48pm

"Its blue-gray anklets of pain clinking with every step.
At this hour when hearts, deep in their hiding places,
Have begun to hope once more, when they start their vigil"

That is my favorite part of the poem. This was very moving for me, it has alot of meaning that takes a little thought to decipher and appreciate fully :)

Great blog BTW :)

Best,

Conrad

The Masquerade Masks Man

Comment #7 by Masquerade Dresses on April 25, 2010 - 10:04pm

'Be Near Me' is such a beautiful yet concise title, I just had to say that!

Comment #8 by Phantom of the Opera Mask on April 25, 2010 - 10:05pm

I love the subtlety of this poem, it really conveys the message without being overbearing, loves it!

Comment #9 by White Corset on May 12, 2010 - 3:35pm

This poem has a lot of symbolism in it, and the progression is very engaging. Great writing! Thank you :)

Tom

Comment #10 by Bookshelf Speakers on May 28, 2010 - 3:45pm

Hi Rebecca, I love your blog, nothing but great writing, pictures, and poems :)

How do you get those random comments in the header of your site? I think that is so cool!

Best,

Tom

Comment #11 by Anonymous on August 9, 2010 - 6:52am

This is a very good poem, I like reading some poem

Comment #12 by vibram on August 10, 2010 - 8:26am

Thanks for sharing
I love the subtlety of this poem..
I think I have to indulge in this

Comment #13 by Anonymous on August 11, 2010 - 7:35am

I adulation the subtlety of this poem, it absolutely conveys the bulletin after getting overbearing, loves it!

Comment #14 by Anonymous on August 12, 2010 - 2:22am

Thanks for sharing

Comment #15 by Pest Control Toronto on August 14, 2010 - 9:23am

Its really a very beautiful poem indeed. Thanks for sharing such beautiful poem with us.

Comment #16 by vibram on August 17, 2010 - 4:15am

I feel someone put in words what I thought no words could describe.

Comment #17 by Saif on August 29, 2010 - 2:48am

Beautiful Peom! This guy is one of the most famous poets of Pakistan!

accessories for htc

Comment #18 by Anonymous on September 12, 2010 - 10:02am

Wonderful stuff! Keep up the writing and we will keep up the reading!

Comment #19 by Anonymous on September 30, 2010 - 6:40am

Your words are beautiful. Thank you for this poem!

Comment #20 by Birdcage Veils on March 17, 2011 - 2:19am

Such a beautiful poem you have written for us, thank you so much for sharing this with the world :)

Comment #21 by qlwik on March 22, 2011 - 5:58pm

Nice poem! Keep going with that!

Comment #22 by David Walker on April 5, 2011 - 1:31pm

Thank you so much for sharing this! Keep up the good work!

Comment #23 by Brent M on April 14, 2011 - 2:13am

This poem has made my day. How beautiful - thank you for sharing.

Comment #24 by Train Games on April 24, 2011 - 5:57pm

The poem is really great! I think I fell in love with it. :)

Comment #25 by Lanie on April 27, 2011 - 5:34pm

What a wonderful poem. There have been times when I've gone for months neglecting to let my mind be moved by the beauty that humanity can produce. Thank you for sharing your words with us.

Comment #26 by Propane Smoker on April 28, 2011 - 5:30am

My fiancee would love this poem as she always wants me to put her to bed because she says it feels nice to have my arm wrapped around her and she can fall asleep quickly knowing I'm near her. Thank you.

Comment #27 by business attorneys harrisburg pa on April 28, 2011 - 10:17am

What a great poem it is. I felt it is so touchy and so moving. I liked it a lot. Thanks for sharing.

Comment #28 by Linda Cruz on May 2, 2011 - 2:12pm

Beautiful and touching. Thanks for sharing.

Linda

Comment #29 by Piscineenfant on June 1, 2011 - 1:49pm

Excellent Poem, I love it.

Comment #30 by amai liu bukakke on June 1, 2011 - 5:28pm

Comment #31 by Chris Garden on June 15, 2011 - 1:37pm

Touching poem. Keep going.

Comment #32 by Tommy Hawkins on June 15, 2011 - 1:38pm

I'm deeply moved by your words. Very nice.

Comment #33 by longchamp on August 15, 2011 - 8:15am

thanks,thanks

Comment #34 by calvinklein on August 15, 2011 - 8:16am

Keep go on

Comment #35 by longchamp on August 19, 2011 - 4:51pm

For hands still enfolded in sleeves;

Comment #36 by VSair109 on August 27, 2011 - 4:14pm

Comment #37 by Rick on July 6, 2012 - 4:04pm

Lovely translation from Naomi; I wish I had the inspiration to create such beauty. Thanks for sharing Rebecca :)

Comment #38 by Attorney in Costa Mesa on November 29, 2012 - 5:55am

I could feel the level of intensity in those words of yours.

Comment #39 by Anonymous on December 23, 2013 - 1:39am

cannot be soothed.When whatever you want to do cannot be done,When nothing is of any use;
that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts

Criminal Minds seasons 1-8|Game of Thrones seasons 1-3|The closer seasons 1-7|The lword seasons 1-6|Curb your Enthusiasm seasons 1-8|House MD seasons 1-8

Comment #40 by Bowker on May 25, 2014 - 3:24am

Really soothing words. I enjoyed it very much. Thank you.

Comment #41 by Elke on September 21, 2014 - 8:36am

Every weekend i used to pay a quick vizit
this web site, as i want enjoyment, for the reason that this this
web page conations in fact fastidious funny information too.

Comment #42 by Morris on September 23, 2014 - 12:05pm

Hello, always i used to check blog posts here in the early hours inn the
dawn, since i enjoy to learn more and more.