Obama: Black, White...or neither?

March 11th, 2009

Obama: Black, white ... or neither? By Jessie Washington, Associated Press. I add some thoughts on the subject.

A perplexing new chapter is unfolding in Barack Obama’s racial saga: Many people insist that “the first black president” is actually not black.

Debate over whether to call this son of a white Kansan and a black Kenyan biracial, African-American, mixed-race, half-and-half, multiracial — or, in Obama’s own words, a “mutt” — has reached a crescendo since Obama’s election shattered assumptions about race.

Obama has said, “I identify as African-American — that’s how I’m treated and that’s how I’m viewed. I’m proud of it.” In other words, the world gave Obama no choice but to be black, and he was happy to oblige.

But the world has changed since the young Obama found his place in it.

Intermarriage and the decline of racism are dissolving ancient definitions. The candidate Obama, in achieving what many thought impossible, was treated differently from previous black generations. And many white and mixed-race people now view President-elect Obama as something other than black.

So what now for racial categories born of a time when those from far-off lands were property rather than people, or enemy instead of family?

“They’re falling apart,” said Marty Favor, a Dartmouth professor of African and African-American studies and author of the book “Authentic Blackness.”

“In 1903, W.E.B. DuBois said the question of the 20th century is the question of the color line, which is a simplistic black-white thing,” said Favor, who is biracial. “This is the moment in the 21st century when we’re stepping across that.”

Rebecca Walker, a 38-year-old writer with light brown skin who is of Russian, African, Irish, Scottish and Native American descent, said she used to identify herself as “human,” which upset people of all backgrounds. So she went back to multiracial or biracial, “but only because there has yet to be a way of breaking through the need to racially identify and be identified by the culture at large.”

“Of course Obama is black. And he’s not black, too,” Walker said. “He’s white, and he’s not white, too. Obama is whatever people project onto him ... he’s a lot of things, and neither of them necessarily exclude the other.”

But U.S. Rep. G. K. Butterfield, a black man who by all appearances is white, feels differently.

Butterfield, 61, grew up in a prominent black family in Wilson, N.C. Both of his parents had white forebears, “and those genes came together to produce me.” He grew up on the black side of town, led civil rights marches as a young man, and to this day goes out of his way to inform people that he is certainly not white.

Butterfield has made his choice; he says let Obama do the same.

“Obama has chosen the heritage he feels comfortable with,” he said. “His physical appearance is black. I don’t know how he could have chosen to be any other race. Let’s just say he decided to be white — people would have laughed at him.”

“You are a product of your experience. I’m a U.S. congressman, and I feel some degree of discomfort when I’m in an all-white group. We don’t have the same view of the world, our experiences have been different.”

The entire issue balances precariously on the “one-drop” rule, which sprang from the slaveowner habit of dropping by the slave quarters and producing brown babies. One drop of black blood meant that person, and his or her descendants, could never be a full citizen.

Today, the spectrum of skin tones among African-Americans — even those with two black parents — is evidence of widespread white ancestry. Also, since blacks were often light enough to pass for white, unknown numbers of white Americans today have blacks hidden in their family trees.

One book, “Black People and their Place in World History,” by Dr. Leroy Vaughn, even claims that five past presidents — Thomas Jefferson, Andrew Jackson, Abraham Lincoln, Warren Harding and Calvin Coolidge — had black ancestors, which would make Obama the sixth of his kind.

Mix in a few centuries’ worth of Central, South and Native Americans, plus Asians, and untold millions of today’s U.S. citizens need a DNA test to decipher their true colors. The melting pot is working.

Yet the world has never been confronted with such powerful evidence as Obama. So as soon as he was elected, the seeds of confusion began putting down roots.

“Let’s not forget that he is not only the first African-American president, but the first biracial candidate. He was raised by a single white mother,” a Fox News commentator said seven minutes after Obama was declared the winner.

“We do not have our first black president,” the author Christopher Hitchens said on the BBC program “Newsnight.” “He is not black. He is as black as he is white.”

A Doonesbury comic strip that ran the day after the election showed several soldiers celebrating.

“He’s half-white, you know,” says a white soldier.

“You must be so proud,” responds another.

Pride is the center of racial identity, and some white people seem insulted by a perception that Obama is rejecting his white mother (even though her family was a centerpiece of his campaign image-making) or baffled by the notion that someone would choose to be black instead of half-white.

“He can’t be African-American. With race, white claims 50 percent of him and black 50 percent of him. Half a loaf is better than no loaf at all,” Ron Wilson of Plantation, Fla., wrote in a letter to the Sun-Sentinel newspaper.

Attempts to whiten Obama leave a bitter taste for many African-Americans, who feel that at their moment of triumph, the rules are being changed to steal what once was deemed worthless — blackness itself.

“For some people it’s honestly confusion,” said Favor, the Dartmouth professor. “For others it’s a ploy to sort of reclaim the presidency for whiteness, as though Obama’s blackness is somehow mitigated by being biracial.”

Then there are the questions remaining from Obama’s entry into national politics, when some blacks were leery of this Hawaiian-born newcomer who did not share their history.

Linda Bob, a black schoolteacher from Eustis, Fla., said that calling Obama black when he was raised in a white family and none of his ancestors experienced slavery could cause some to ignore or forget the history of racial injustice.

“It just seems unfair to totally label him African-American without acknowledging that he was born to a white mother,” she said. “It makes you feel like he doesn’t have a class, a group.”

There is at least one group eagerly waiting for Obama to embrace them. “To me, as to increasing numbers of mixed-race people, Barack Obama is not our first black president. He is our first biracial, bicultural president ... a bridge between races, a living symbol of tolerance, a signal that strict racial categories must go,” Marie Arana wrote in the Washington Post.

He’s a bridge between eras as well. The multiracial category “wasn’t there when I was growing up,” said John McWhorter, a 43-year-old fellow at the Manhattan Institute’s Center for Race and Ethnicity, who is black. “In the ‘70s and the ‘80s, if somebody had one white parent and one black parent, the idea was they were black and had better get used to it and develop this black identity. That’s now changing.”

Latinos, whom the census identifies as an ethnic group and not a race, were not counted separately by the government until the 1970s. After the 1990 census, many people complained that the four racial categories — white, black, Asian, and American Indian/Alaska native — did not fit them. The government then allowed people to check more than one box. (It also added a fifth category, for Hawaiian and Pacific Islanders.)

Six million people, or 2 percent of the population, now say they belong to more than one race, according to the most recent census figures. Another 19 million people, or 6 percent of the population, identify themselves as “some other race” than the five available choices.

The White House Office of Management and Budget, which oversees the census, specifically decided not to add a “multiracial“ category, deeming it not a race in and of itself.

“We are in a transitional period” regarding these labels, McWhorter said. “I think that in only 20 years, the notion that there are white people and there are black people and anyone in between has some explaining to do and an identity to come up with, that will all seem very old-fashioned.”

The debate over Obama’s identity is just the latest step in a journey he unflinchingly chronicled in his memoir, “Dreams from My Father.”

As a teenager, grappling with the social separation of his white classmates, “I had no idea who my own self was,” Obama wrote.

In college in the 1970s, like millions of other dark-skinned Americans searching for self respect in a discriminatory nation, Obama found refuge in blackness. Classmates who sidestepped the label “black” in favor of “multiracial” chafed at Obama’s newfound pride: “They avoided black people,” he wrote. “It wasn’t a matter of conscious choice, necessarily, just a matter of gravitational pull, the way integration always worked, a one-way street. The minority assimilated into the dominant culture, not the other way around.”

Fast-forward 30 years, to the early stages of Obama’s presidential campaign. Minorities are on track to outnumber whites, to redefine the dominant American culture. And the black political establishment, firmly rooted in the civil rights movement, questioned whether the outsider Obama was “black enough.”

Then came the primary and general elections, when white voters were essential for victory. “Now I’m too black,” Obama joked in July before an audience of minority journalists. “There is this sense of going back and forth depending on the time of day in terms of making assessments about my candidacy.”

Today, it seems no single definition does justice to Obama — or to a nation where the revelation that Obama’s eighth cousin is Dick Cheney, the white vice president from Wyoming, caused barely a ripple in the campaign.

In his memoir, Obama says he was deeply affected by reading that Malcolm X, the black nationalist-turned-humanist, once wished his white blood could be expunged.

“Traveling down the road to self-respect my own white blood would never recede into mere abstraction,” Obama wrote. “I was left to wonder what else I would be severing if I left my mother and my grandparents at some uncharted border.”

———

Comments:

Comment #1 by Anonymous on December 13, 2008 - 8:53pm

O, oh,B,black,A(american-white), M(middle) African. that is what OBAMA. Now we see how faithful he remains to all colour or he will show his own colour, to let public know of what colour he is of.

Comment #2 by Anonymous on December 13, 2008 - 11:54pm

"Traveling down the road to self-respect my won white blood would never recede into mere abstraction......i was left to wonder what else I would be severing if I left my mother and my grandparents at some uncharted border." Barack Obama

I believe that really sums up the whole issue from his perspective.....whatever we ponder only serves to uncover our own limited vision or inability to evolve into a more humane construct of this whole construction that is "race". We are truly all one people people...we always have been and we always will be no matter how long it takes us to navigate this path to our enlightenment.

Comment #3 by Ramos on December 14, 2008 - 12:05am

Thanks Jesse--

This is good stuff that will change the way we look at demographics. I am Biracial, father from the Philipines, and a White mother. I married a white woman and I signed one of my kids up as an minority (Asian) to get into one school and I signed the other one as (White) to get into different school. I was always ticked off that there was no Multiracial or Biracial check box to fill out on all the forms. My son (25% Filipino, 75% white) married a woman who is 50 % White and 50% Kardinian (Iraqi/Iranian). So how does my grandson declare?

Barak Obama elected to be Black. I think he can.

Here's a twist to your position; I grew up in mostly hispanic neighborhoods, Puerto Rican and/or Mexican. I can be White, I can be Filipino, and, because of my environmet, I can be Latino. And I have done it. There will be some significant attention to this topic in the future.

Comment #4 by Sean on December 14, 2008 - 1:29pm

It is good news that skin color is ceasing to be a shortcut for the human impulse that looks to instantly characterize others. The labels black, white, and so on have always been simplifications to make it easy to group people together to achieve control -- control over our fears of others.

I would like to pose another, equally important, question: "Who was America's First White President?" I think its fair to say that no President of the United States has ever been described as such. If we are going to inaugurate Barack Obama as the 1st Black President of the United States, we may have to inaugurate the next Caucasion male as the "1st White President," if only to be consistent.

Comment #5 by Anonymous on December 17, 2008 - 5:17pm

I like what Rebecca was quoted elsewhere as previously declaring - 'Human'; that's what we should stick to. Is Not-Anglo race different to Human race?

Comment #6 by Tigist Selam on February 25, 2009 - 2:55pm

My mother is Ethiopian and my father is German. I grew up in Nigeria, Argentina and mainly Germany. I studied in the United Kingdom and reside in the United States.

I, too identify myself as human or more so a spiritual being experiencing a human existence. I do so, precisely because of the never-ending question of my own racial identity. Perhaps if we start deconstructing our own perceptions of ‘race’, which is merely a socially and culturally phenomena, we would stop projecting ours to everyone else.

As the concept of ‘race’ is becoming more fluid, I find it crucial to give other’s the right to choose their racial identities. If Barack Obama considers himself as ‘black’, so let him be. Who are we ought to be to override one’s experience of ‘race’?

Thank you.

Comment #7 by allseo on February 18, 2012 - 2:49am

Microsoft Office 2011 mobile computing on the go easier Microsoft Office 2010 with access to all your Download Office 2010 settings in one place and Office 2010 Download greater connection and networking Microsoft Office 2010 Download options. Now you can access Microsoft Office 2007 Download and share all your work computer Microsoft Office 2011 programs and network resources Buy Windows 7 whether at home or Download Windows 7 on the road. You can even Win 7 disconnect from the network Microsoft Windows 7 and then have your network Windows 7 files automatically and Office 2007 Key seamlessly updated with any new changes.
Microsoft Office 2007 Professional you schedule automatic periodic backups to Office 2010 Key save your data or an entire system image to a MS Office 2007 location or a local drive. This helps you quickly Office 2010 restore individual Office 2010 Professional .

Comment #8 by insanity weight loss on October 9, 2014 - 1:17am

Everything is very open with a very clear description of the
issues. It was truly informative. Your website is
very helpful. Thank you for sharing!

Comment #9 by vitalita derma skincare on August 21, 2015 - 1:01pm

This piece of writing gives clear idea in favor of the new visitors of blogging, that truly how
to do running a blog.

Comment #10 by simpson anchors on September 7, 2015 - 12:38pm

I was able to find good advice from your blog articles.

My web blog; [url=https://www.rebelmouse.com/wistfulbedding970/the-best-way-to-find-quality-h-787218097.html]simpson anchors[/url]

Comment #11 by Elvira on January 27, 2016 - 4:40am

Hello everyone, it's my first pay a visit at this web page, Easy And Natural Ways To Cleanse Your Colon At Home post is
really fruitful in support of me, keep up posting these content.

Comment #12 by Elvira on January 27, 2016 - 4:40am

Hello everyone, it's my first pay a visit at this web page,
Easy And Natural Ways To Cleanse Your Colon At Home post is
really fruitful in support of me, keep up posting these content.

Comment #13 by Barry on January 27, 2016 - 9:03am

You really make it appear so easy along with your presentation however I
find this topic to be really one thing which I believe I would never understand.
It sort of feels too complex Pure Testo Xplode And Black Label NO very wide for me.
I am taking a look forward in your subsequent submit, I will attempt
to get the cling of it!

Comment #14 by Barry on January 27, 2016 - 9:03am

You really make it appear so easy along with your presentation however
I find this topic to be really one thing which I believe I
would never understand. It sort of feels too complex Pure Testo Xplode And Black Label NO very wide
for me. I am taking a look forward in your subsequent submit, I
will attempt to get the cling of it!

Comment #15 by Lorenzo on January 27, 2016 - 7:48pm

As you possibly can see thede are numerous benefits to incorporating ecommerce website templates free within your net design.

Comment #16 by Peter on February 3, 2016 - 11:06am

Hello colleagues, how is all, and what you wish for to say about
this post, in my view its in fact awesome designed for me.

Comment #17 by Keenan on February 20, 2016 - 2:30pm

You made some decent points there. I looked on the
internet to learn more about the issue and found most
people will go along with your views Erect On Demand this website.

Comment #18 by Isabel on February 28, 2016 - 7:23pm

hi!,I like your writing so a lot! share we communicate extra about your post on AOL?
I need a specialist Erect On Demand this house to unravel my problem.
Maybe that's you! Having a look ahead to look you.

Comment #19 by Isabel on February 28, 2016 - 7:23pm

hi!,I like your writing so a lot! share we communicate extra about
your post Erect On Demand AOL?
I need a specialist on this house to unravel my
problem. Maybe that's you! Having a look ahead to look you.

Comment #20 by Mai on March 21, 2016 - 2:29am

Yes! Finally something about anti-aging.

my blog collagen restore skin

Comment #21 by adult entertainment on March 29, 2016 - 3:58am

Yes! Finally something about adult.

Comment #22 by Christy on April 10, 2016 - 7:58am

I think the admin How To Take Care Of Dry Skin? this web page
is really working hard for his web site, for the reason that here every information is quality based data.

Comment #23 by Christy on April 10, 2016 - 7:58am

I think the admin How To Take Care Of Dry Skin? this web
page is really working hard for his web site, for the reason that here every information is
quality based data.

Comment #24 by Dr.Web Security Space pro serial key on April 22, 2016 - 1:44pm

The product is licensed per number of protected computers not connected to a local area network where the number of workstations doesn’t exceed 50 inclusive.

Comment #25 by Zenaida on June 17, 2016 - 12:46am

Its such as you learn my thoughts! You seem to understand so much
about this, such as you wrote the guide Beneficial Ingredients in Truvaderm Anti-Aging Cream it or
something. I feel that you just could do with a few p.c.
to drive the message house a little bit, but other than that, this is magnificent blog.
A great read. I will definitely be back.

Comment #26 by Zenaida on June 17, 2016 - 12:46am

Its such as you learn my thoughts! You seem to understand so much about this, such as you wrote the guide
Beneficial Ingredients in Truvaderm Anti-Aging Cream it or something.
I feel that you just could do with a few p.c.
to drive the message house a little bit, but other than that,
this is magnificent blog. A great read. I will
definitely be back.

Comment #27 by Grace on June 20, 2016 - 8:16am

Your style Cogni Lift: Is It A Scam Or Legit? so unique compared to other people I've read stuff from.
Thank you for posting when you've got the opportunity, Guess I'll just book mark this blog.

Comment #28 by Grace on June 20, 2016 - 8:16am

Your style Cogni Lift: Is It A Scam Or Legit? so unique
compared to other people I've read stuff from. Thank you for posting when you've got the opportunity, Guess I'll just book mark this
blog.

Comment #29 by Leila on June 20, 2016 - 8:17am

I believe this is one of the so much significant info for
me. And i am glad studying your article. However should commentary on some normal
issues, The web site style is great, the articles is in point of fact excellent :
D. Just right job, cheers

my blog: Found Youth Skin Care Serum

Comment #30 by Tilly on July 13, 2016 - 8:19pm

Asking questions are genuinely fastidious thing if you
are not understanding anything entirely, however this paragraph presents fastidious
understanding even.