Die Mommy Die: Women talking about babies in workplace

March 15th, 2009

Interesting piece about women waxing rhapsodic about motherhood at the office and how it affects non-moms and moms who don't necessarily think motherhood is the beginning and end of the world. I add my thoughts.

By Nancy Hass

Arranging the interview took months of patient pleading with the CEO’s staff, and now that I’ve been waiting for almost an hour in the chief’s vast beige and teak inner office, one thought keeps running through my head: She better be as brilliant as everyone says.

Ten minutes later, the CEO walks through the door, smoothing her pantsuit and flashing a purposefully desperate smile. “I’m so sorry to have kept you waiting,” she says, plopping down in the sleek armchair next to me as I reach out to shake her hand, “but my nine-year-old had a bad night because of a test today—throwing up and everything—and she just called in to say she thinks she aced it. Everything is so dramatic with that one; all her stress goes right to her stomach.”

I try to cut her off with a tight grin, barely enough to pass as polite. I don’t like where this is going.

Comments:

Comment #1 by Memphis classifieds on January 18, 2012 - 5:17pm

This story is hilarious. I like to talk about my cat, whom I love, but I always keep in mind that this can usually be boring for those who don't own an animal that purrs. It's nice to talk about what you love, but it's nicer to do that with persons who share your interest.

Comment #2 by Soy Baby Formula on January 31, 2012 - 2:12pm

It happens to me, too, every time. When people meet me, I'm a nice person who doesn't stand up with anything, in their eyes. But when I tell them I don't really like children, I become a monster sent from the deepest pits of hell.I don't get it, since I don't have one of my own, the maternal feeling isn't so strong in me. Apparently, that scares people.

Comment #3 by Miles on January 22, 2014 - 6:46am

" The origin and meaning is under dispute, but a reference can be traced back to one of the original Psalms in the bible. Going beyond the textbooks and gaining practical knowledge that can be used in their day to day lives. This means the soil has not had any chemicals used in it for at least three years and it has been enriched with compost and other organic matter.

Review my site Christian Hudson ([url=http://www.pinterest.com/bethie638/dedicated-to-my-cousinsalexischristianhudson/]Miles[/url])

Comment #4 by lawn once on July 26, 2014 - 2:17am

I enjoy what you guys are usually up too. This
type of clever work and coverage! Keep up the awesome works guys I've included you guys to blogroll.

Visit my weblog ... [url=http://www.coreaerator.net]lawn once[/url]

Comment #5 by Ugg Μποτες on November 10, 2014 - 1:01pm

Moncler Daunenjacke Sale With an audio grounded throughout straightener first with reddish Floyd

Comment #6 by Ulrich on June 13, 2017 - 5:05am

脱毛サロンを訪れる暇もお金の余裕もないと嘆いている人には、安価で購入できるセルフ脱毛器を検討してみることがオススメ。脱毛エステで使われている脱毛器ほど高い出力を期待することはできませんが、思いついた時に使える家庭用脱毛器で、ムダ毛のない肌を手に入れることが可能なのです。
CMで話題の脱毛サロンでキレイに脱毛をしてもらって、自慢したくなる肌を実現する女性がたくさんいるようです。美容に向けた興味も深まっているようなので、サロンも増加しているようです。

Here is my web site: 全身脱毛人気

Comment #7 by Ulrich on June 13, 2017 - 5:05am

Here is my blog post: 全身脱毛人気